Cyber School Eating Habits


When you go to a public school you don't really have any time to eat except during your lunch period, or maybe sneaking a snack before 2nd period and soccer practice. Well in cyber school you're surrounded by food all day. This can be a crazy temptation some days.

Now realize that my mom is a health teacher, and that her and my dad are both on a mainly juice diet right now so there isn't too much junk food in the house. Unless of course my grandmother has stopped by lately, then there is a good stash of chocolate around.

When I started doing cyber school it was pretty tough not to eat a lot during the school day. Sure I had just came from summer where I also didn't have school, but my other friends were also off then, and we would go do things everyday out of the house instead of having to sit inside for a good couple hours at the computer.

My biggest problem with food is that it became a distraction and way of procrastinating. This is fine if I'm having a good meal like breakfast or lunch, but sometimes I would make junk food early if I was working on a report or some tough Math problems on a day that I had no focus.

Not only was this keeping me from getting work done quickly, but I also gained a few pounds and became more fatigued and unfocused. The more unfocused I was, the more I ate causing me to be more unfocused. It really was a vicious cycle.

Finally I began to realize this, and my eating habits took a completely different direction. I decided to not let food become a distraction, and eat like I would be if I were in a school building during the day. So I basically ignored the food in the house, and didn't eat hardly anything in between my three main meals. My stomach even got so used to my small eating that I would accidentally forget to eat one of my main meals, and eat a yogurt or banana instead.

That eating habit wasn't the worst, but I started to realize that my metabolism went down significantly and I was also feeling fatigued and unfocused like before.

Finally I have found a happy medium where I try not to use food as a distraction during school, and listen to my body when it is hungry instead of outright ignoring it. I also try not to eat snacks between breakfast and lunch, and only a couple of snacks before or after dinner.

It's not easy to keep eating habits steady with such a flexible schedule. It's really tempting sometimes to either eat way too much food or hardly any food at all. Every once in a while it is fine to splurge a little bit, like whenever grandma brings over chocolate or I make cookies for family parties, but just be careful about how much you eat.

I'm sure you will most likely come to your own happy medium, but if you have a problem with eating habits and eating junk food (who am I kidding, everyone does!) make sure you take this under consideration before you begin cyber school. Maybe you can even come up with a healthy eating plan or other healthy snacks to substitute the chips and candy that are so tempting.

There are many pros and cons to cyber school, and you have many questions. Can you play sports in cyber school? How do colleges look at cyber school? Is cyber school right for me? Get answers to all of your questions and more at Cyber-School.org

No comments:

Post a Comment